Wednesday 3 December 2008

An Ode to Kate (and the choccies under the bed)

'Twas a sparkly winter's eve and we were cosy on the settee,
Writing Christmas cards with my man, no happier we could be,
Until, I asked, 'Do we have choc?' He shrugged and shook his head,
And then I remembered the stash of sweets underneath the bed.

'We can't,' he said. 'They are for gifts - Christmas gifts for Kate',
But all I could I imagine was how - in my gob - that choccie would taste great.
"I'll get some more," I said with glee, and ripped open the box.
And out of nowhere came his hand, sly as a midnight fox.

Handfuls of Maltesers went into our mouths, so I'm sorry my darling friend,
I shall buy you more, to go with your orchid, as way to make amend(s).
An empty box is all that's left of our binge in front of the telly,
To sleep I went, all satisfied, with a very happy belly.

I am no poet but the moral of the story is don't buy your Christmas gifts too early, because you end up eating them instead of wrapping them...

Have you eaten any of your Christmas gifts yet? Emptied your advent calendar by day three? Let me know...

4 comments:

Claire said...

Poor Kate! Think you should give her an empty box of sweets for her xmas prezzie for that one!
I haven't even opened my advent calendar yet for fear of just ripping the whole thing open and scoffing them all in one gulp. There is still time though, still time....

Emily said...

When midnight hunger strikes, there is no stopping me. I ruthlessly bit the head off a Lindt chocolate reindeer the other night. The dead of night's the only time when I get a look in where choccie is concerned.

Claire said...

Well, we both know, if the lights aren't on and it's dark outside, the calories don't count....

Anonymous said...

That's right. It doesn't count if it's straight out of the fridge with a big spoon either