I'm trying to be a bit more creative and ensure his lunches are varied, nutritous and, of course delicious.
But when I opened the fridge this morning I found he had gone to work without it.
Boo for him.
At first I felt sad that such a nice lunch was going to go to waste, before remembering that he won't be home for tea tonight and I will need feeding...
The dish is a chicken noodle salad, with a satay-style dressing, similar to one in the Nigella Express cook book. Here's the recipe:
- 1 block of medium egg noodles (cooked to instructions on the packet and tossed with a dash of sesame oil to stop them sticking
- 1 cooked chicken breast, sliced. I pan-fried this one in a teaspoon of olive oil, but you could poach, or roast it
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Handful of toasted cashew nuts
- Handful of toasted black sesame seeds
- Handful of chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
- Dash of seasme oil
- Dash of dark soy sauce
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing
- Mix the dressing with the noodles to combine
- Add in the spring onions, red pepper, cashews and sesame seeds and stir. Add a dash of lime juice, or extra soy, if the sauce is too thick
- Sprinkle in the coriander
- Top with the sliced chicken breast