Thursday 26 March 2009

His loss is my tea!

I MADE the boy a lovely packed lunch for work today.
I'm trying to be a bit more creative and ensure his lunches are varied, nutritous and, of course delicious.
But when I opened the fridge this morning I found he had gone to work without it.
Boo for him.
At first I felt sad that such a nice lunch was going to go to waste, before remembering that he won't be home for tea tonight and I will need feeding...
The dish is a chicken noodle salad, with a satay-style dressing, similar to one in the Nigella Express cook book. Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
Serves One
  • 1 block of medium egg noodles (cooked to instructions on the packet and tossed with a dash of sesame oil to stop them sticking
  • 1 cooked chicken breast, sliced. I pan-fried this one in a teaspoon of olive oil, but you could poach, or roast it
  • 2 spring onions, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • Handful of toasted cashew nuts
  • Handful of toasted black sesame seeds
  • Handful of chopped coriander
FOR THE DRESSING:
  • 1 tbsp of peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
  • Dash of seasme oil
  • Dash of dark soy sauce
METHOD:
  1. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing
  2. Mix the dressing with the noodles to combine
  3. Add in the spring onions, red pepper, cashews and sesame seeds and stir. Add a dash of lime juice, or extra soy, if the sauce is too thick
  4. Sprinkle in the coriander
  5. Top with the sliced chicken breast
  6. Enjoy!

2 comments:

healthy ashley said...

Hi!

The dish sounds great! Too bad he missed out :( Lucky for you! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Emily said...

Thanks Ashley. My mum ended up coming for tea so the salad is still in the fridge. Maybe I'll eat it tonight!