Fresher, younger and free from the constraints of destructive relationship with a loser like K-Fed, Asparagus Spears is now rocking our world.
The vitamin-packed veggie is back in season and I, for one, am delighted.
I called into Gwillam's Farm Shop, in Worcester, last night where they were selling big bunches of the stuff for £2.50.
It had been grown just down the road in Hartlebury, Worcestershire, and looked irresistible.
The asparagus season is shorter than Britney Spears' legs (without Photoshop) so take advantage of it while it lasts...
Here are my top five favourite ways to cook it:
- Steam it lightly over boiling water, then serve it simply with a bit of Maldon rock salt, extra virgin olive oil and shavings of fresh Parmesan cheese
- Add it to a risotto near to the end of cooking. Tastes great with other green vegetables in a Risotto Primavera, or with chicken and lemon zest/juice for something more hearty
- Lightly cooked and then dipped into the runny yolk of a poached, or boiled egg
- Roasted in the oven with other veggies, such as peppers, then dipped into a feta cheese dip (blend feta cheese, dash of milk, olive oil and salt and pepper to make a smoothish puree)
- Stuffed inside a chicken breast, along with goats' cheese or mozzarella, then roasted to perfection
Click on this link for more details on the forthcoming asparagus festival